Fried rice is one of our favourite dishes. Making fried rice is not complicated, but there are some techniques to cook it properly. For a decent fried rice, each rice grain has to be fluffy and sticky fried rice is not acceptable.
The ingredients for fried rice can be different each time you make it, but you always want to have a combination of rice, protein and a few vegetables. Fried rice with eggs are fun to cook. In order to make a shining golden fluffy fried rice, you need to nicely coat the rice with eggs in your wok. Let’s see the details for this recipe…
Ingredients for Stir-Fried Rice with Fluffy Eggs (for 2 people)
- Rice: 250 ml
- Water: 400 ml
- Eggs: 3
- Simmered Pork or Shrimp or Sausage*
- Spring Onions: 2-3
- Garlic: 1 clove
- Ginger: 1 small piece
- Salt, Black Pepper
- Soy Sauce: a little
- Vegetable Oil: 1-2 tablespoon
*If you use fresh meat, you need to stir-fry it separately. This time I used leftover BBQ prawns.
- Cook the rice (with less water than usual).
- Beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Chop up garlic, ginger, spring onion.
- Cut the meat or prawn into small pieces. If you use fresh meat, stir-fry it separately.
How to Cook Stir-Fried Rice with Fluffy Eggs
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok, add garlic, ginger and white part of spring onion.
2. Pour the beaten eggs in the wok, and immediately add the rice on the egg.
3. Cook the egg and rice on a medium-high heat, quickly stir the rice to evenly coat them with the eggs.
4. Add salt and black pepper, cook on high heat, occasionally stirring until rice gets lighter and fluffy, but do not stir too often.
5. Add the protein (either meat or prawns or both), the green part of spring onion and stir all of them.
6. Pour the soy sauce so it slides down the side of the wok to finish and serve.
The Techniques for Golden Stir-Fried Rice with Fluffy Eggs
- Cook rice with slightly less water than normal, so that the rice won’t be too sticky after absorbing the egg in the wok.
- When stir-frying the rice, turn it over with a spatula and mix like cutting, do not knead it (see the video below).
- Keep medium or high heat when stir-frying the rice. If you have a single-handle wok, you can feel when the rice’s weight gets lighter by shaking the wok. That is the sign that the rice was stir-fried properly.