I made Karaage with Frozen Haddock which we can easily buy in supermarkets in Canada.
This time we brought it as an appetizer to a home party we were invited to, so I cut it into finger size pieces for easy eating.
It is served with a tangy and spicy Youlin sauce.
Ingredients for Crispy Karaage (deep fried) Haddock with Youlin Sauce
- Frozen Haddock: 400g
- Katakuri Powder (Potato Starch): 1.5 to 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch: 1.5 to 2 Tbsp
- Curry powder: a pinch
- Deep-frying oil
Ingredients for Youlin Sauce
- Soy sauce: 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar: 3 Tbsp
- Maple Syrup (or Sugar): 1.5 Tbsp
- Sesame Oil: 1.5 Tbsp
- Red Onion or White part of a Spring Onion
- Ginger: 1 small piece
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Sambal or Doubanjiang (if you like spicy food): 1 Tsp
Preparation of Crispy Karaage (deep fried) Haddock with Youlin Sauce
- Thaw the frozen haddock.
- Make the sauce: chop the red onion, ginger and garlic and mix all the ingredients for the sauce together.
- Cut the haddock into finger-sized pieces and coat lightly with a mixture of potato starch, cornstarch and curry powder.
How to make Crispy Karaage (deep fried) Haddock with Youlin Sauce
- Heat the oil, deep-fry the haddock and serve with the sauce.
The batter can be made of 100% potato starch or 100% cornstarch, instead of mixing the two flours.