We had a chicken soup stewed with olive and chillies in Mexico that I couldn’t forget, so I tried to recreate it.
The original recipe had capers, but unfortunately I didn’t have any capers in stock. I omitted them this time.
The olives (and capers if you have them) give the soup its umami and unique flavour.
As for the chillies, habanero would be best. I didn’t have any either. I put chillies from my garden in this summer instead.
Ingredients for Spicy Chicken Soup with Olives
- Chicken thighs (with bones): 500g
- Olives: about 3 Tsp
- Onions：2 small
- Red Sweet Pepper: 2 medium-sized
- Carrots: 2
- Garlic: 2 to 3 cloves
- Bay Leaves: 2
- Coriander stalks or Celery: a little
- Chillies (if you like): 3 to 5
- White Wine: 50ml
- Salt and pepper
- Lime (if available)
You can also add potatoes, as shown in the picture.
Preparation of Spicy Chicken Soup with Olives
- Cut the onions, carrots and sweet pepper into pieces.
- Chop the garlic and the coriander stalks into small pieces.
- Cut the limes into small pieces.
- Cut the chicken into pieces, season with salt and pepper.
How to make Spicy Chicken Soup with Olives
- Fry the chicken in a pan to remove any excess fat.
- Put the chicken and all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- When the ingredients have softened, place on a plate and serve with cut lime.