When I say that I am Japanese who love cooking, some people ask me, “So, can you make Sushi?” To be honest with you, I don’t really like eating Sushi although Sushi is one of the signature dishes in Japan.
There are lots of different styles of Sushi, but obviously Sushi is the most famous Japanese cuisine in the world.
I know how to make Sushi and I have even made Sushi by myself and served it to guests when I was working for a Japanese restaurant in Hong Kong. However, I was never satisfied with my own Sushi rice. Although Sushi is not my favourite, I sometimes make Sushi at home and I always make it with this recipe.
Ingredients for Quick Sushi Rice (for 2 people)
- Japanese rice: 300ml
- Water: 330ml
- Rice Vinegar: 2 tablespoons
- Sugar: 1.5 tablespoons
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Kombu: 1 small piece (if it’s available)
How to Make Sushi Rice: A Quick Recipe
- Cook the rice with Kombu (if it’s available).
- Mix rice vinegar, sugar and salt to make sushi vinegar.
- When the rice is cooked, sprinkle the sushi vinegar to the hot rice, mix quickly and leave to cool (ideally, blow up the rice with a fan).
Sushi Rolls of Tuna with Pickled Korean Shiso in Spicy Soy Sauce
We harvested some of our Korean Shiso, and I made Sushi Rolls of Tuna with Pickled Korean Shiso in Spicy Soy Sauce.