This is one of the classic Japanese everyday dishes. We love simmered meat and vegetables with sweet soy sauce. Your dish will be delicious even when it cools down.
Chicken and eddo (satoimo) is a golden combination to simmer. The umami of chicken soaks into the eddo. You can also enjoy the soggy and fluffy texture of the eddo.
Ingredients for Simmered Chicken and Eddo with Sweet Soy Sauce
- Chicken thigh meat: 300-350g
- Eddo: 5-6 pieces
- Carrot: 1 medium size
- Ginger: 2-3 slices
- Edamame (frozen): about 10 pots
- Soy sauce: 3 tablespoons
- White Wine: 3 tablespoons
- Maple Syrup: 3 tablespoons
- Japanese Bonito Soup Stock Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Water: 350-400ml
- Boil the Eddo starting from cold water or steam them for 15 minutes or until cooked (test to see if they are cooked like you would a potato).
- After they cool down, peel them, and cut them into a size that is easy to eat.
- Cut chicken and carrot into bite-sized pieces.
- Boil the frozen Edamame to defrost and remove the pods.
How to Cook Simmered Chicken and Eddo with Sweet Soy Sauce
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and boil.
- After bringing to the boil, cover with the lid and simmer on a low-medium heat for 30-45 minutes until the liquid has reduced by about half.
- Sprinkle the Edamame beans to give a colour and serve.
Using the Rice Cooker
You can cook this dish in a rice cooker too. In that case, use raw eddos after peeling. You can put raw chicken, peeled and cut eddos, and other ingredients into the rice cooker and cook them until the eddos get tender.