Japanese fried chicken is another tasty everyday food in Japan. It’s also a good finger snack. Sweet soy sauce with ginger and garlic is a winning combination. You just need to marinade the chicken with the sauce in advance and then you deep fry it. Simple and easy, but it has an addictive taste.
Ingredients for Japanese Fried Chicken “Karaage”
- Chicken Thigh: 250g
- Ginger: 1 piece
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves
- Soy Sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Maple Syrup: ½ tablespoon
- White Wine: 1 teaspoon
- Katakuri Flour (potato starch) or Cornstarch: 2-3 tablespoon
- Lemon (option)
- Grate the ginger and garlic.
- Cut the chicken into one-bite size.
- Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, maple syrup, white wine and ground ginger, garlic for at least 15 minutes.
How to Make Japanese Fried Chicken “Karaage”
- Sprinkle the Katakuri flour or cornstarch to the marinated chicken.
- Deep fry the chicken in the oil at 160～170C degrees for 4-5 mintues and turn it up to 180C degrees, deep fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot with a cut lemon.
Chicken thigh is better than chicken breast, ideally choose one with the skin on.