The meatloaf that I have ever had in Japan always had boiled eggs inside. My boyfriend who is British said that he had never seen a meatloaf like this when I first made it. So I assume that this is the Japanese style meatloaf. I always make my meatloaf in a saucepan since our oven doesn’t work. It also contains a lot of vegetables. If you prefer a more meaty taste, you can reduce the amount of vegetables.
Today, I made an apple sauce for the meatloaf. I also like an orange sauce or onion sauce with it.
Ingredients for Japanese Style Meatloaf
- Minced Beef: 200g
- Eggs: 3
- Panko (Bread Crumb): 1 tablespoon
- Milk: 1 tablespoon
- Onion: 1 small size
- Carrot: ½ small size
- Mushrooms (option): 2 pieces
- Garlic: 1 clove
- Salt, Black Pepper
For Apple Sauce
- Apple: 1 small size
- Soy Sauce: ½ tablespoon
- Maple Syrup: 1 tablespoon
- Vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Crushed Garlic: 1 clove
- Boil the eggs and peel them.
- Put the Panko and milk in a bowl to let the Panko absorb the milk.
- Finely chop up the onion, carrot and mushroom.
- Make the sauce: grate the apple and add other ingredients for the sauce.
How to Cook Japanese Style Meatloaf
1. Add the minced beef, chopped vegetables, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg into a bowl of Panko and milk. Mix well.
2. Place the half of 1 on an aluminium foil, shape it into a rectangle.
3. Put the eggs on 2, put the rest of 1, and make the rectangle box shape, putting air out as much as you can.
4. Wrap it up with the foil, being aware that we are going to steam it with water in a pan, so it’s better to fold the edge upwards in order to avoid the water from coming inside.
5. Wrap it up with aluminium foil again, so that it is wrapped in double foils.
6. Place it in a frying pan or saucepan, add hot water at the level of half height of the meatloaf.
7. Put the lid on and cook for 35 minutes on a medium heat.
8. After it is cooked, add the juice from meat into the apple sauce.
9. Slice the meatloaf and serve it with the sauce.