Roast beef is normally cooked in the oven, but our oven is broken and doesn’t work at all. In fact, I prefer cooking it in my skillet because it’s easier to control the heat.
Today, I’d like to share my recipe for seared beef with an apple sauce.
Ingredients for Seared (Roast) Beef:
- Beef: 300 to 400 g
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Apple: 1 small size
- Soy Sauce: 3 tablespoons
- Maple Syrup: 2 tablespoons
- White Vinegar: 2 teaspoons
- Garlic mashed: 1 clove
- Onion sliced: 1 small size
- Spring Onion
How to Make Roast Beef in a Skillet:
1. Take the beef out of the fridge and put it at room temperature for 1 hour before you start cooking
2. Apply salt, black pepper and garlic powder all around the beef and rub them into the beef
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in the skillet
4. Sear the beef on a medium heat, cooking 1 minute per 1 cm of thickness for top and bottom side each (if the beef is 4 cm thick, you need to cook 4 minutes each side of top and bottom)
5. Cook 1 minute each of the other 4 sides
6. Take the beef off the heat, wrap it with doubled aluminium foil
7. And then, wrap it in a towel, rest it for 1 hour at room temperature
8. After it cools off, store it in the fridge without the towel until being served.
How to Make Apple Sauce:
- Ground an apple
- Add soy sauce, maple syrup, vinegar and mashed garlic into the mashed apple
- Add the beef juice left in the foil into the sauce before you serve.
1. Place thin sliced onion on the plate
2. Slice the roast beef and put them over the onions
3. Decorate the needle-sliced spring onions on the top
4. Serve it with your sauce.
Mashed apple in the apple sauce can be replaced by grounded onion as a substitute.
If you live with your family, I recommend that you inform them about the beef when it is being slowly cooked inside the towel because otherwise they might take the towel and have a big surprise – this is almost what happened in my house!