There are a few types of Tofu available in Asian supermarkets. Apart from the standard white tofu, they also have brown deep-fried tofu. |Brown tofu comes in different sizes such as cubes, flat squares and round balls. The one I am going to stir fry today is the cube or rectangle shaped brown tofu. Here is how to make stir-fried brown tofu and Shanghai Choy.
Ingredients for Stir-Fried Brown Tofu and Shanghai Choy
- Deep-fried Brown Tofu: 1 package
- Shanghai Choy: 3-4
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Ginger: 1 piece
- Sambal or Doubanjiang: 1 tablespoon
- Shaoxing Cooking Wine: 1 tablespoon
- Soy Sauce: a little
- Salt, Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil: 1 tablespoon
>>> What is Shaoxing cooking wine?
- Place the deep-fried tofu in a colander and pour boiling water over them in order to remove the old oil on their skin, and slice them.
- Chop up the garlic and ginger.
- Clean the Shanghai Choy and cut into small pieces, separating the green part and whitey part.
How to Cook Stir-Fried Brown Tofu and Shanghai Choy
1．Heat the vegetable oil in a wok, add chopped garlic and ginger.
2．Add sliced tofu, Shaoxing cooking wine, cook until they get a little coloured, occasionally stirring.
3．Add salt and a little soy sauce to season tofu.
4．Add the whitey part of Shanghai Choy and stir.
5．Add the green part of Shanghai Choy, a little salt and cook for 2 minutes. In this process, the green leaves act as a lid and you are almost steaming the tofu and vegetables in the wok.
6．After everything is cooked, add sambal (or Doubanjiang), soy sauce, black pepper to season, and serve.