There are several dishes in Chinese cuisine that are steamed in Shaoxing wine. This time, I made steamed prawns with Shaoxing wine. The marinade with Shaoxing wine and ginger helps to reduce the smell of the prawns. There is another sauce for dipping which is served with the prawns.
Ingredients for Steamed Prawns with Shaoxing wine
- 12 prawns (with shells)
- Shaoxing wine: 3 tbsp
- Grated ginger
- Grated garlic
- A pinch of salt
Dipping Sauce for person
- Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Fish Sauce: 1 tsp
- Soy Sauce: 1 tsp
- Sesame Oil: ½ tsp
- Ginger (shredded)
- Red Chilli (cut into small pieces): optional
- Wash the prawns and remove the whiskers. Pierce the shrimp with a bamboo stick at the second joint and devein (remove the dark dorsal vein).
- Marinate the prawns in the marinade for one hour or more.
How to Cook Steamed Prawns with Shaoxing wine
- Place the marinated prawns in a frying pan with the marinade sauce and cook them on a medium low heat.
- Turn the prawns over and when they are cooked through, serve with the dipping sauce.