Stir-Fried Tomato and Eggs (西红柿炒鸡蛋 or 番茄炒蛋) is one of my favourite Chinese dishes. It’s very popular all over the Chinese world. It’s simply stir-fried tomatoes and eggs with Chinese seasoning. It looks like scrambled eggs or omelette with tomatoes, but the juice from the tomatoes and chicken stock make it even more tasty. It’s called 西红柿炒鸡蛋 or 番茄炒蛋 in Chinese. Today I added canned tuna to give more flavour although it normally contains only tomatoes and eggs.
Ingredients for Stir-Fried Tomato and Eggs
- Tomatoes: 2-3
- Eggs: 3
- Onion: 1
- Canned Tuna: 1 can
- Ginger: 1 piece
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves
- Chives or Spring Onions
- Salt, Black Pepper
- Chicken Stock: 80ml
- Vegetable Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Drain the canned tuna.
- Chop up the garlic, ginger, chives or spring onions.
- Cut the tomatoes into one-bite size, slice the onion with 5-8mm.
- Beat the eggs.
How to Cook Stir-Fried Tomato and Eggs
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok and cook the beaten eggs. Roughly stir the eggs and take them out after they are almost cooked.
2. Heat another tablespoon of vegetable oil in the wok, add chopped garlic and ginger. And then, add the sliced onion.
3. After the onion slightly becomes transparent, add tomatoes and a pinch of salt, cook on a high heat.
4. After the juice comes from tomatoes, add drained tuna and chicken stock, cook them, occasionally stirring.
5. Add the cooked eggs, roughly break it with a spatula, stir and cook until the eggs get hot.
6. Season with salt and pepper, if it’s needed. Sprinkle the chives or spring onions before serving.