We had a fresh pineapple which was getting overripe, so I made a jam with some citrus fruits.
You can make a jam simply from fresh pineapple, but combining with different ingredients gives it a more complex flavour. Today, I added an orange, a lime and a little ginger.
Ingredients for Fresh Pineapple and Citrus Jam (about 500ml)
- Fresh Pineapple: 1
- Orange: 1 small size
- Lime: 1
- Lemon: a quarter
- Ginger: a little
- Sugar: about 60% of the weight of the pineapple
How to Make Fresh Pineapple and Citrus Jam
- Peel and finely chop the pineapple. Peel and remove inner white skins from orange. Grate the ginger.
- Put the pineapple and orange in a pan, sprinkle with sugar and leave for 30 minutes.
- After the juice comes out from the fruit in the pan, place over a medium heat and add the lime juice, lemon juice and grated ginger.
- Simmer until slightly softer than the desired consistency, then remove from the heat and place in a sterilised container.