We harvested some leaf amaranth and added it to pasta with canned tuna. The leafy amaranth has no bitterness, so it is easy to arrange in a variety of dishes. Today was the first time we harvested leaf amaranth, so we decided to keep the recipe quick and simple so that we can enjoy it more.
Ingredients for Spaghetti with Leaf Amaranth and Tuna (for 2 people)
- Leaf Amaranth: appropriate amount
- Canned Tuna: 1 can
- Spaghetti: 2 portions (we used spaghettini today)
- Garlic: 1 or 2 cloves
- Onion: 1 small size
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive Oil: 1 tbsp
- Finely chop up the garlic.
- Lightly drain the canned tuna.
- Slice the onion and cut the amaranth leaves into small pieces if they are too large.
- Roughly chop the basil.
How to Make Spaghetti with Leaf Amaranth and Tuna
- Boil the pasta to the desired consistency and drain in a colander. Reserve about 100ml of the pasta cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the garlic.
- When the garlic aroma comes out, add the onion slices and cook on a low-medium heat.
- Add the tuna and when it’s warmed up, add the leaf amaranth.
- When the leaf amaranth is cooked, add the pasta and the cooking water and stir fry them gently.
- Season with salt and pepper, place on a plate and top with basil.